Friday, March 25, 2011

Breadcrumb 1 - Ginger Bread

Is this really it? Was I really supposed to end up here?
Though I rather not admit it... It might be that I did something wrong when doing my property search on the Internet. Might have signed the wrong contract or accidently signed in to the wrong apartment. This certainly didn't look like the two-room apartment I'd intended to live in. It wouldn't be ideal to have my sloppy bed in the same room where I'd invite my guests. But of course it might be a good motivator to clean it every morning and you never have to use a bed before the guests have left the door. So, I suppose it wouldn't be a problem really.


Nevertheless, I had to get used to this place. It was nothing like the roomy house I lived in for the last twenty-one years of my life. Which had a dishwasher, washing machine and dryer, unlike the apartment I would be living in from now on. Where I had my own bedroom, even my own bathroom. Okay, I had my own bedroom and bathroom now as well, but in a different way. It was all my own, but it was tiny. As tiny as it could be. But at least I wouldn't have to pay that much for it. Especially now it turned out I had bought the smallest of the smallest place.

But there was this particular smell, like something was burning. Or something had been burning for a while. I couldn't figure out where it came from immediately. Did I brought something myself that had been burning on the airplane?

However, soon enough I found the iniator. The previous owner hadn't told the landlord the stove wasn't in that good a condition anymore, as I was told later when I gave him a call. But Mr. Double was really kind and offered me a free replacement. Which was stationed almost immediately, so in the late afternoon my apartment looked as if new (or sort of). So next thing for me to do was cook myself a fine early dinner on my new stove.

Which was a good idea, as soon after I put the pan on the cooking stove the doorbell rang to announce two of my neighbors. They were unlike any other kind of person I had ever met before, but I have lived for most of my life in the protected circles of my family. I consider myself rather open-minded and was therefore more than willing to meet these new, though rather strange, people.

The woman of my age was Jessica Talon, a dark-skin lady with the most mysterious reddish eyes. She just had a darkish side in her, or so it seemed. She told me she does mostly live during the darkest parts of the day, or night I must say, working as a bouncer and mixologist in certain clubs.

There also was a somewhat older lady, Hyacinth Atkins, who had brought her own keyboard to play me some music. Most of the songs she performed were classical. Not really my taste, but she was a good musician anyways.

Do you understand now what I meant by saying they seem a little strange? It was nothing I had experienced before in my life, honestly.

Now there was just one thing I totally forgot when talking to these new people...

I had left that ... pan on the stove! And I totally forgot it was there. Untill a burning smell filled the air, but then it was already to late! Flames came from the unlidded pan and almost immediately grabbed the rest of the stove. There my newly acquired stove was going into flames again. Can you even believe that?!

And there it became clear that you should never be too judgmental when meeting new people. This strange, darkish girl I'd just met took out the fire extinguisher and put out the fire in no time. I think it was since then that I decided we should be friends for life.

I think I've never had a real friend before, but once the time should be right. I had left my parents, my birth place, all familiarity behind, and here I was. A new town, a new house (though unexpected), and a new friend to accompany this new life. I don't really know about her, but I considered her as my new soulmate.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Monique!! Leuk om te zien dat je met een nieuwe legacy bent begonnen! Ik heb jouw legacy zeker gemist, haha. Het ziet er erg leuk uit tot nu toe, maar de lettertype is niet zo goed leesbaar helaas.... misschien kun je daar iets aan doen? Maar leuk dat je weer bent begonnen en heb zin in de rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dank je, Esther! Ik zal proberen mijn best te doen het bij te houden, maar ik zit nog steeds in Amerika, dus ik kan niet beloven dat er elke zoveel dagen iets wordt gepost.
    Anyways, ik vond de letterypte wel leuk, dus waarschijnlijk laat ik 'm zo, tenzij iedereen er commentaar op gaat geven. Naar mijn idee is het nog wel enigszins leesbaar, maar als het echt vervelend wordt zal ik het veranderen!

    Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Monique it's Thesearestories. I just got thinking about your legacy and decided to look it up again. I'm so happy you decided to start a new one. I will start reading it now!

    ReplyDelete