Friday, March 25, 2011

Breadcrumb 2 - Ginger Bread

So, it turned out I had also overlooked the fact I would be living in a big city.

Yeah, maybe the quantity of vacant apartment, in comparison to detached houses, should have given me an idea, but apparently it had not. Or the fact that everyone at home always talked about going to Bridgeport for their citytrips. I don't know... It seems like I'm not really a smartass.

I probably just have confused it with Porridgeport. Bridgeport... Porridgeport, it's kind of the same, isn't it? So now I ended up in the big city, with lots of traffic, lots of flats and apartments, lots of gray and less green.

But the way I see it... At least there are big opportunities for me to start a career. And I needed that. I've always wanted to become a scientist. Or anything like that. As a child I would always formulate hypotheses and do little experiments, which drove my parents crazy. I made the most crazy, but also most useful (according to myself), tools and devices to aide my mother in the household and my father at his 9 to 5 job in the office. Like the butter stick, a glue stick that was not made of glue, but of butter, so you'd never need a knife to butter your bread. But the butter never was solid enough to really use it. Or a toaster that could also be used as a mood lamp, using different colors. But the energy needed was too much for the socket so it exploded after an evening of use. I'm no bad investor. I'm just not experienced enough. Or not old enough.

So now I should be ready...

The city didn't really seem to be ready for me, though. Anyway, not for my needs. As my need to grow my own veggies and fruit. You might have expected there wouldn't be any space for my seeds. Well, I did found a little piece of soil. It was right in front of the flat, though, and I could only cross my fingers in the hope no one would take offence.
Also, the stove still wasn't working the way it supposed to work. Or maybe it's just my cooking skills. Anyway, the waffles were more black and burned than golden brown...

Honestly, I had no idea how to get a job. Living in a big city it shouldn't be that much of a problem... I wanted to call my new friend Jessica to ask her for any tips, but even before I could speak a word (not even say hello) she interrupted, squeaking into the horn it would be her birthday this evening and I was totally invited!

So there I was, just five hours later, enjoying the company of a couple of strangers and my new best friend Jessica. It turned out that one of her friends was Lola Belle, who seemed to be a Pop icon in Bridgeport. I'd never heard of her - obviously, as I'm such a nitwit - but just to make sure I wouldn't miss anything from now on, and I would be able to have little conversation with the others, I took a sneaky (or not so sneaky) photo with my cell phone.

Close to midnight I said goodbye to Jessica and her friends (more to Jessica than to her friends, though). I had totally forgotten about getting a job, and the how and where, so I also forgot to ask her. Realizing that, while going down in the elevator, I almost felt like I should go up again, when I heard a surprising sound.

There, in the lobby, was a man in the brightest coat I've ever seen in my life, making the weirdest gestures, talking to himself it seemed.

"You alright, sir?" I asked. I could have ignored him, of course, but I didn't. Don't ask me why, but it might have been faith...

"Oh, sure I am," he responded, with a faint smile on his face. "I'm fine."

I might have looked a bit dubious, as he added: "I just finished my first day at work. I'm a... what you'd call a laboratory animal... Got a few injections today and they'd told me it might have some side-effects."

"You're working in a lab?" Maybe I even yelled. He's working in a lab? In a lab where you can be a scientist? A laboratory? "Could I work there also?!" I don't know where I got the brutality from...


"I'll tell you a little secret..." He whispered, bending close to me.

So, that's when I heard of this job. Just as a laboratory animal, just like this guy. But you should start somewhere... So they say.

1 comment:

  1. WOW wat veel updates ineens! :D Ik ga het allemaal lezen nu. Ik vind het echt leuk, Ginger is een interressante persoonlijheid! Ik denk dat ik zo met mijn comments ff weer naar Engels switch ;-) Anyway, ga zo door!! :D

    ReplyDelete